On December 5, 2023, a methodological seminar on the topic “New methods for researching the population census in Kazakhstan” was held at the Institute of History and Ethnology named after Sh.Sh. Ualikhanov. The purpose of the methodological seminar was to show the basic data of census materials when determining the population size. Specialist scientists, doctoral and master’s students, and students interested in this topic were invited to participate in the seminar, which was held in both online and offline formats.
The moderator of the seminar was Orazgul Mukhatova, chief researcher of the institute, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor, the speaker of the next methodological seminar was Doctor of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor Aizhamal Kudaibergenova. She described the concept of a population census and touched on the history of the population census in Kazakhstan. In addition, she reported on the effectiveness of mathematical and electronic methods in conducting a population census, noting the benefits of the population census results for the development of our country.
As a result of heated discussions among the participants of the methodological seminar, the following resolution was adopted:
1. In order to improve the demographic situation in our country, we recommend that the state, in addition to monthly payments, provide a “remuneration” for maternal care, the so-called “suyinshi syyaky”, to the mother who gave birth at the expense of internal resources within the framework of the “State Development Program” based on internal resources.
2. We recommend providing houses and land plots to large families under special programs, such as “Large Family”.
3. Historians, sociologists, statisticians, etc. must develop a project for program-targeted funding of scientific research on the topic “Socio-demographic development of Kazakhstan”, which will bring together different specialists at the interdisciplinary level.
4. Based on statistical data, we recommend opening social and medical care facilities depending on the demographic situation in individual regions of Kazakhstan, i.e. based on demographic zoning. For example, open sanatorium-resort and medical institutions in areas with a large number of elderly people, cultural-innovative and other institutions in areas with a large number of young people.
5. Organize special research competitions for young scientists – master’s and doctoral students on the topic “Results of the population census in Kazakhstan.”
6. In order to improve demographic research, the Institute of History and Ethnology named after Sh.Sh. Ualikhanov will purchase a special computer necessary for the development of demographic programs.
7. Prepare a methodological manual for master’s and doctoral students on the topic of the methodological seminar and prepare a special paid course on its basis.